Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Web 2.0 or exaggeration ?

I think its more of a fad than a reality for many. Web 2.0 aims at giving the user a very friendly reception and stay without compromising/exaggerating on the ambience and other critical elements in a webpage.

But lately, I have found some web developers throwing up unacceptable pages on the name of 'Web 2.0'. They use flash banners where a simple static image could do. They use javascript to render page content where simple HTMl tables would do, but they won't use AJAX for form submission/input validation(huh?). Isn't this a blunder knowing that SE spiders cannot go well with Javascript. Only I know what toll it takes on my bandwidth and page load time! Some webmasters are trying more and more to make a page 'attractive' at expense of visitors. Tell me if this would be called as 'more usable'

My message here is web 2.0 is about making web pages more usable, not more avoidable. Websites grow more on value offered rather than anything else.

-Rohan Shenoy

No comments: